Class Member Info
In Memorium
Wildcat Memories
WPHS History
Untold Towayam Tales
Reunion Photos
Reunion CD
Other WPHS Classes

John Morehouse

This message was sent to Sue Gipson-Price. Susan Morehouse wanted to share this story of
John’s last day with his classmates and friends. This was posted on the Allcoast Sportfishing
Message Board (www.allcoastsportfishing.com)

A Tragic Day...

You never know what is going to happen when you throw the last line and push off from the dock. I usually think about the finding the mother of all kelp paddys loaded with fat fish or getting into a full speed bluefin bite with not a soul in sight. Today we left the dock at 5:30am with a day of salmon fishing planned dreaming of limits of big fish for everyone on board. I am sure everyone that left the dock this morning was thinking the same thing. The day was going great we had 7 fish on the boat for 4 guys and we were working on the last fish of the day. We had passed a couple fishing from an older Chris Craft about thirty minutes earlier. We had waved hello, bragged a bit about how many fish we had on the boat and didn't think another thought about it. I was talking to friend on the radio, he is actually a casual acquaintance but he is a nice guy and I would consider him a friend anyway, when a frantic voice broke through on channel 18. It was a woman pleading in a panicked voice for help. She exclaimed that her husband was on the deck and he wasn't moving. As it so happened I had my partner Doug, an LA City paramedic, and another friend Dave, a trauma physician, on board and we picked up and headed for the distressed vessel. As we arrived I recognized the vessel as the Chris Craft we had passed a little while earlier. I pulled along side and our guys boarded the vessel to find a frantic woman and a man in his early 50's on the deck in full cardiac arrest. Dave and Doug along with another off duty fireman started CPR. Two other volunteers got on board to drive the boat and we headed for Ventura Harbor about 13 miles away. While underway, the trio continued CPR trying to revive the victim. During this time we contacted the Coast Guard and the Harbor Patrol and requested emergency assistance. The Coast Guard sent a rescue boat and the Harbor Patrol sent a towboat. I followed the Coast Guard back to Ventura Harbor to collect my crew. Sadly to say the victim didn't make it. It's a strange feeling seeing someone alive and well one minute and the very next minute seeing that same person laying lifeless on the deck of a rescue boat covered with a gray blanket. To all of you guys and gals out there that see this everyday please excuse my emotion. Also to all of you who do this day in and day out, thank you. It is truly and amazing sight watching a group of professionals stop what they are doing and risk their own safety to help someone in need.

You never know what is going to happen when you throw the last line and push off from the dock. Life is short and every minute should be treasured. Get home early to see your kids, skip the next business trip or go fishing!

Be Safe
a/k/a "Fin-Addict"